Thursday, January 26, 2006

...barns burnt down, now i can see the moon...

Opa!
SooOOooooOOoo...
I was offered a position in Greece doing field work for an NGO Archelon – Archelon is a Sea Turtle Protection Agency located on many Greek Islands. I have been asked to work on an Island called Zakynthos – in a village called Kallitero from May to July. The base camp for the project is in this village in an Olive Grove. They get folks for the project from all over the globe and are selective of where folks are coming from so that you not only get to save the world, but you get a unique cultural experience as well…. I would be one of the first folks on site helping in set up and orientation… Am I going to do it? Why wouldn’t I really? I got the thumbs up from the boss - from the dad - from Visa, who is always willing to lend a hand (wink wink). Project also gives me enough "downtime" to allow me to check out neighbouring Italy and who knows where else... Depends on the tide...

Caretta-Caretta is the species of sea turtle I will be handling and work involves everything from monitoring nesting patterns, to identifying females, to protecting nests, to public relations work, to beating tourists who walk on nests, for the society. Over the past 3 years I have done a lot of conservation work with Wood Turtles here in NS – so it is basically the same deal – But with a much larger salt water species in a much warmer and different climate, and at a bit of a higher price tag.

So thats the newest news for this kid.
I hope life finds you all with smiles today.

LnH - Stacy

No comments: